This article is meant for amateur, beginner and intermediate artists, who are struggling with the free hand drawing, using a reference reference picture. Drawing a free hand is a fun activity, which gives you immense pleasure, satisfaction and ultimate freedom.
Let us understand how an artist’s mind breaks down the objects in a reference picture, so that the same can be replicated on the drawing sheet, using the free hand drawing techniques. Constructive methodology has following 2 steps –
- Drawing –
- Composition: Follow the principle of design and compose the scene.
- Layer: Depending upon depth, break down the scene into layers.
- Perspective: Check if the layers have the perspective. Identify the plains and type of perspective it is.
- Size: Identify the objects or groups of objects on various layers. Find out the maximum height & maximum width of the object or group of objects on various layers.
- Measurement: Define the standard unit size. Using the unit defines the proportion of height and width of the cross.
- Envelope: Draw the outermost macro and micro geometrical boundary around the cross, which will enable us to draw a silhouette.
- Landmark: Identify the pre-defined and familiar landmarks and the center line for the mirrored objects, if applicable.
- Shapes: Inside the envelope, break down the reference image into lines, and 2D shapes.
- Finished drawing: Clean and re-draw the final drawing.
- Rendering –
- Forms: Find the 3D forms and define the 3D wire frame.
- Source of light: Analyze the sources of lights, dark areas, the intensity of brightness, and the effect of surrounding objects.
- Color or value palette: Posterization and define the color transition or value gradation based upon light areas and shadow areas. Based upon the posterization define the color or value palette.
- Shade: Render (shade or color) from dark to light or light to dark (watercolors), which will primarily depend upon the medium
- Texture: Add texture to change the surface quality of the objects.
- Enhance: Enhance contrast and highlight.
- Protect: Protect the artwork using varnish spray. Share the artwork, take feedback and identify areas of improvement.
Select a simple artwork from the Internet. and use the above method and try to sketch, draw and shade. Most of the armatures are able to draw reasonably well by adopting the above technique. For sure, it is going to be a pleasant surprise for you and your loved ones!
Stay tuned. We are in the process of exploding the above process with examples.