Why should I learn fundamentals of visual art?
Many of us have learnt drawing in an unstructured manner, using hit and trial method. We think that we can draw and paint, without the learning the fundamentals of visual art. However, fundamentals of visual art & design are the basic building block to create an athletically pleasing and technically correct artwork or design.
Just think – Is it possible to speak and write a language, without learning the fundamentals such as letters, grammar, vocabulary etc.? Similarly, visual art have its own fundamentals, which are universal across different subjects and mediums.
What are the benefits of learning fundamentals of visual art?
- Create technically correct and aesthetically pleasing artwork.
- Quickly accomplish the artwork, without any struggle and frustration.
- Create artwork from memory or imagination, without using any reference picture.
- Better analysis and understanding of the artwork created by the great artists.
- Refine and harness the existing visual art skills to the next level.
- Increases the acuteness of observation and sharpen visual analytic faculties.
- Develop creative abilities, which are different from artistic abilities i.e. replication skills.
- Be a well-rounded and versatile artist.
- Helps in discovering your own signature style.
What topics the fundamentals of visual art will include?
- Dot & line
- Shape: Create 2D drawing by using lines and shapes.
- Tone & color: Shade and render the 2D drawing using tonal values and colors.
- Forms: Convert 2D drawing into 3D artwork, by using tonal values or colours in the forms.
- Texture: Change the quality of the surface of the 3D artwork, by using texture.
- Space & perspective: Add space and perspective in the artwork to enhance the element of depth.
- Principal of design and composition: Apply principle of design and composition to make the artwork aesthetically pleasing and interesting.
How much time it take to learn the fundamentals of visual art?
- Learning curve will depend upon following factors –
- Availability of time for the practice.
- The sitting capacity and interest in the topic.
- Teaching and learning methodology.
- Teacher student ratio.
- Teacher abilities and skills in the fundamentals of visual art.
- Scope and depth of the fundamentals of visual art.
Based upon available statistical data i.e. 100+ participants at Shanky Studio, took between 3 months to 6 months to learn the fundamentals of visual art. The above participants, were enrolled in one-to-one i.e. 1 teacher : 1 participant and learn using using the 7C teaching and learning methodology.
What are the different types of visual art?
- Drawing from still life, which can be organic or inorganic objects.
- Drawing from life such as portrait, caricature, human anatomy and animal anatomy.
- Abstract art, modern art and contemporary art.
- Regional art.
What mediums are available in the visual art?
- Wet mediums such as watercolor, oil, acrylic, ink etc.
- Dry mediums such as graphite, charcoal, soft pastels, oil pastels, colored pencil etc.
- Digital medium such as raster image, vector image, modelling, animation etc.
- Mixed medium is combination of traditional and digital mediums.
Whether you want to take art as hobby or be a visual artist, fashion designer, design student, graphic designer, animator and illustrator, learning fundamentals of visual art will for sure benefit you.